Snort mailing list archives

Re: Prevent VPN

From: "Shravan Rangarajuvenkata \(shrarang\) via Snort-devel" <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:49:21 +0000

AppId supports detection of various VPN applications such as Monster VPN, OpenVPN, ibVPN, etc. You can look at all the
VPN applications AppId supports at https://appid.cisco.com or in the appMapping.data that is included in the Open
Detector Package.

You can create an IPS rule to block an application. Here’s an example Lua file that blocks Monster VPN:

local_rules =

[[

block tcp any any -> any any ( msg:"block "; appids:"Monster VPN"; sid:1; )

]]

stream = {}

stream_tcp = {}

appid =

{

    app_detector_dir = <path_to_open_detector_package>,

}

ips =

{

    rules = local_rules,

}

Note that the string used in “appids” field in the rule above should exactly match the string in second column in
appMapping.data.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Shravan