Snort mailing list archives

Subscription Rule Download Fails

From: "Kim Premuda" <kim () armsd com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2020 14:27:57 -0700

pfSense 2.4.5

Suricata 5.0.2_3

Snort subscriber rules

I purchased thee $399 rule subscription but seem to be having trouble
getting the subscription rules to download. A month or so prior to the
purchase, I was using the Snort GPLv2 Community rules which
downloaded/updated with no problem...and still do, since I reverted back to
them. For the subscription rules in Suricata, I enter the following:

              Snort Rules Filename: snort-rules-snapshot-29160.tar.gz

              Snort Oinkmaster Code: ***************

              Install Snort GPLv2 Community rules: disabled

and save the changes. When I update the rules, I get the following log
message:

Downloading Snort VRT rules md5 file...

              Snort VRT rules md5 download failed.

              Server returned error code 422.

              Server error message was:

              Snort VRT rules will not be updated.

Things that I tried to get the download to work (from various Internet
searches):

             Disabled all rules except for the Snort subscription rules.

             Removed pfBlockerNG (I wasn't using it).

             Regenerated the Oinkmaster code.

             Restarted Suricata services.

             Rebooted pfSense.

I am technically competent, however, pfSense, Suricata, and Snort rules are
relatively new to me (about 2 months experience). So, I am reaching out for
help, because I am not understanding why the download fails. Thank you in
advance for any assistance you may provide.

Kim Premuda