Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort seems to stop working after first hit of drop rule

From: Stefan Mayer <stefan.mayer () usaneers de>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 21:45:04 +0000

Thanks for your response. Either you or I am missing something. In my understanding, the rule

drop  udp any any -> $HOME_NET 30501 (msg:"packet detected"; sid:10000003; rev:1; content:"|45670123|"; depth:4;)

says: Drop any packet that is sent via udp from anywhere to any host in the network, if the payload contains 45670123
in hex. Any other packet (icmp, or tcp, or any other udp that does not contain the magic number), shall not be dropped
and sent onwards.

I am constantly sending data that matches the rule, among other packets that do not match. On the receiving end, this
happes:
I receive four packets that do not match the rule (udp with 111111 as payload), then snort drops the fifth packet which
matches the rule. After that, I am receiving no upd at all, although I keep sending. Snort does not report anything
anymore.
The only thing still reaching the receiver is a ping.