Snort mailing list archives

Snort Failing While Reading Rules File

From: Jim Campbell via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 20:37:06 -0400

I'm running Snort inline as an IPS system.

I upgraded Snort to 2.9.14.1 just over a week ago. Once it was running, with the same disablesid.conf I was using before the update I began receiving a lot of alerts that I hadn't been receiving before. The sids were 120:5, 120:7, 120:8, 129:5, 129:18, 129:20 and 142:2.

I gradually began adding the sids giving the most alerts to the disablesid.conf file. Each time I update the disablesid.conf file I run pulledpork and restart snort.

This morning I added 120:7 and 129:5 to the disablesid.conf file.

Snort was running just fine until I updated my rules file. After the update I restarted Snort as I usually do. While reading the rules file snort failed. Here are the messages I received:

WARNING: /etc/snort/rules/snort.rules(756) threshold (in rule) is depreciated; use detection_filter instead.
ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/snort.rules(2478) Flowbits: Invalid token noreject.

I realize the first message isn't an error, I just included it for context.

I commented out this rule and restarted Snort. I received an error on a different pair of rules. Commented out that pair of rules, same results.

I downloaded the rules again, same results.

After some experimenting I learned that if I remove sids 120:7 and 129:5 from the disablesid.conf file, re-run pulledpork and restart snort it no longer fails.

Jim Campbell

        snort-users-leave () lists snort org