Snort mailing list archives

Snort Blog: Snort versions EOL and open-source Snort release schedule updates

From: "Joel Esler \(jesler\) via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:51:46 +0000

https://blog.snort.org/2019/09/snort-versions-eol-and-open-source.html

Snort versions EOL and open-source Snort release schedule updates
It's time again for us to wind down certain versions of SNORTⓇ.

We currently support 36 different Open Source Operating System<https://snort.org/documents/snort-supported-oses> builds
for the Snort Subscriber Rule Set. Each additional version of the OS and additional version of Snort that we have to
support exponentially increases the amount of build — and, subsequently, QA — time required to create a version of the
ruleset. To adjust this workload, we will be deprecating the following versions of Snort:

  *   2.9.9.0
  *   2.9.11.1
  *   2.9.12.0

Using our regular 90-day notice policy, this means that those versions will deprecate on Dec. 18 later this year.

This will leave versions:

  *   2.9.8.3
  *   2.9.13.0
  *   2.9.14.1
  *   And the upcoming release of 2.9.15.0

If you are on 2.9.9.0, 2.9.11.1, or 2.9.12.0, we recommend you upgrade to 2.9.14.1 immediately.

We will be updating our EOL page on Snort.org<http://Snort.org> soon to reflect this change as soon as we get a chance
to push that live.

But, there is good news.

We are going to move to a more regular release schedule of about once a quarter. We will iron out the dates and details
soon, at which time we'll let you know on the blog with an accompanying page on Snort.org<http://Snort.org>. This will
allow for more regular releases and easier depreciation of older releases.

If there are any concerns, please bring them to the Snort-Users mailing
list<https://lists.snort.org/mailman/listinfo/snort-users>.
        snort-users-leave () lists snort org