Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Offline Mode Doesn't Generate Alert

From: DFIRob via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 21:13:19 +0200

Hi,

In your live capture mode, you disable packet checksum validation (with -k
none), and you don't while reading the pcap in the second case. When
capturing packets on the host that generated them, it's most common that
packet checksums are not yet calculated (because it's offloaded below
libpcap in the network stack), and therefore checksums are zero.

Does passing -k none in your offline case produce desired results?

If not, can you share the pcap and ruleset?

Best regards,

--rob'

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM fluency0726 via Snort-users <