Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pattern matching

From: "Russ Combs \(rucombs\) via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 12:34:24 +0000

Snort 2 uses Boyer-Moore for content literal searches during signature evaluation.  There is also a PCRE option for
that.  A “fast pattern” step precedes that which uses one of several multi-pattern search engines (MPSEs) to search for
multiple contents literals in parallel.  Some preprocessors / inspectors also do parallel searches.  In addition, Snort
3 can use Hyperscan for a regex fast pattern search as well as with a regex rule option and we are planning to use that
instead of Boyer-Moore for repeated content searches.

Searching is typically a large part of the work Snort does and we are always looking to improve how it is done.  You
should experiment with Snort 3 if you are curious about the current implementation or thinking about experimentation.
Snort 3 in particular makes it easy to add an MPSE as a plugin.

https://github.com/snort3

Cheers
Russ