Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.9.14 on Windows 10 hangs after the "Commencing packet processing" Message

From: keith graybeal via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 17:03:16 +0000

Hello... And thanks for any advice anyone can offer me with my issue

I'm running Snort 2.9.14 on Windows 10.  I seem to have the c:\snort\etc\snort.conf file set up correctly because
issuing

"snort -i 2 -c C:\snort\etc\snort.conf -T"

exits with a "Snort successfully validated the configuration!" message.

Unfortunately, when I issue anything other than a test.

"snort -i 2 -c C:\snort\etc\snort.conf -A console|fast|test"

Snort seems to start and displays a "Commencing packet processing" message... But hangs when it displays "Decoding
LoopBack"

I've edited the C:\snort\rules\local.rules to display messages if the machine's been pinged or if I view a page with a
browser.  And when I do either, I don't receive any message it recognized either event.  I have the NIC in promiscuous
mode and I'm running the cmd window as an administrator.

Can someone please suggest what might be going on, or a solution?  Thanks!
        snort-users-leave () lists snort org