Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort queries

From: wkitty42--- via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 14:52:55 -0400

On 7/18/19 8:12 AM, Justin Xavier wrote:
Hi All,

We are using Netgate Pfsense firewall in our premises with Snort service installed. We had some queries regarding the service and need your assistance in understanding SNORT.

the answers depend on how snort is set up on that system... we don't know what they've done so they will likely have to provide the real answers to your questions...

1.We observed SNORT logs and found many log entries for snort events. Is it that SNORT is blocking/dropping all these packets?

in IDS mode, snort only reports... it does not block... something else will have to do that... whether it does that based on snort alerts or not is up to that tool...

in IPS more, snort can block... this requires the rules be changed from alert to drop, though...

IDS = intrusion detection system
IPS = intrusion prevention system

--
        snort-users-leave () lists snort org