Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.9.13 on OpenWrt - Inline with daq-nfq

From: Donald Hoskins via Snort-devel <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 12:22:50 -0400

I'm building Snort from source and bundling it with OpenWrt.  It builds
(once I put --disable-open-appid anyway, but that's a separate issue).

Device has eth0, eth1, eth2, br-lan, and lo
eth0 is the WAN, eth1 and eth2 are LAN bridged on br-lan.

I'm running it inline with nfq, and get the following:

snort -Q -c /etc/snort/snort.conf --daq-dir /usr/lib/daq

nfq DAQ configured to inline.
ERROR: Can't initialize DAQ nfq (-1) - nfq_daq_initialize: failed to get
handle for nfq

I've looked as far as I can online, even to the seclist archives.  They all
seem to say nfs isn't installed.  However,

root@OpenWrt:/etc/snort# snort --daq-dir /usr/lib/daq --daq-list
Available DAQ modules:
nfq(v7): live inline multi
afpacket(v6): live inline multi unpriv
dump(v4): readback live inline multi unpriv
ipfw(v3): live inline multi unpriv
pcap(v4): readback live multi unpriv

afpacket does work, and I know nfq doesn't run unpriv'd, but on OpenWrt,
everything runs as root.

It's there, but I seem to be missing something somewhere.  I started with
the user list first, because I had hoped someone had ran into this and
solved it.

Any help would be appreciated!