Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Timestamps Out of Sequence

From: "ROTNEMER, ALAN H via Snort-devel" <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 19:13:52 +0000

Hey Joel,

After looking at our packets and discussing this with my development and analyst groups, I guess there is just one
thing I need to know:

From what you have said in your replies, there appears to be "conditions" where Snort will receive a packet, and, for
whatever reasons, delay sending the alert. It could be something about the packet, or something about the rule. My
customer has had instances of delays of up to 7 hours.  This ends up causing a bit of a problem on our backend.

Our product that processes the alerts coming from Snort does not expect these delays. In fact, until this issue
appeared, we always thought that the alerts would arrive in the (timestamp) order they were fed into Snort.

Can you confirm, then, that Snort COULD delay alerts for some packets, and, thus, it is possible that alerts will not
be returned in timestamp order?

If yes, are there known circumstances where this could occur, and would you be able to document them for us? Or
describe the processing that occurs within Snort that could lead to this situation?

We can make some adjustments to our backend, but I want to be able to explain this to my development group and our
customer.

Many thanks,
Alan
P.S. If you know of someone else I need to contact, could you let me know?