Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.12 for Windows, issues trying to get payload info to analyze, and to make multiple file instances with the payload info.

From: "Joel Esler \(jesler\) via Snort-devel" <snort-devel () lists snort org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 16:49:41 +0000

Answered on Snort-Users.

On Jan 10, 2019, at 7:19 PM, Don Hall <dhall () rmscollects com> wrote:

I use Snort v2.9.12 for Windows.

Issue #1.
I am trying to get the payload info (-d) and log (-l) to later read back in (-dr) and analyze the payload.
The payload info goes out to console, but the log file just has the header info, but not the payload info.

I am using the config file \etc\snort.conf to apply the rules.
I try to modify the output plug-ins to get the step 6 plug-ins.

I need to see and analyze the payload.

Issue #2.
I am trying to get the files to close after a file size (e.g. 1MB for test purposes).
With the epoch (timestamp extension), I would spawn off a new file,
And save off the old file, to examine and do data analysis, on the payload.
Trying to do it first, in a test; and later, with a 100MB or 1GB file size, for production.

Do I have to use some other tools, such as logrotatewin?
Or, can I do these things in Snort, without add-ons?
Do I have to make certain config file changes,
Or do I set some command line arguments,
Or do I have to make some patches to resolve the issues?

Thanks, in advance, for any good suggestions.

Regards.

Please visit http://blog.snort.org <http://blog.snort.org/> for the latest news about Snort!