Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort3: no rule for "bad cksum"

From: Russ via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 08:18:09 -0400

Meridoff,

Snort doesn't actually alert on bad checksums because it is something that happens to normal traffic and network nodes are expected to drop such packets.  Ideally your Snort deployment would be such that Snort expects good checksums and can safely drop those packets too but there are times when Snort might need to disregard checksums due to snap length, LRO, etc.  In any case, Snort will report these bad checksum counts:

$ snort --help-counts | grep checksum
icmp4.bad_checksum: non-zero icmp checksums (sum)
icmp6.bad_icmp6_checksum: nonzero icmp6 checksums (sum)
ipv4.bad_checksum: nonzero ip checksums (sum)
tcp.bad_tcp4_checksum: nonzero tcp over ip checksums (sum)
tcp.bad_tcp6_checksum: nonzero tcp over ipv6 checksums (sum)
udp.bad_udp4_checksum: nonzero udp over ipv4 checksums (sum)
udp.bad_udp6_checksum: nonzero udp over ipv6 checksums (sum)

These pegs will show up in the shutdown output.  They can also be configured to be logged with perf_monitor stats.

Hope that helps.
Russ