Snort mailing list archives

Re: Reloading a Configuration without Restarting Snort, in Snort3

From: Ralph Sinnhuber via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 14:06:51 +0000

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 14:01, Ralph Sinnhuber <ralph.sinnhuber () gmail com>
wrote:

Hi there,

It would be a great help if one of you would be able to clarify my
question; alot of thanks in advance.

Documentation suggests I can reload snort with a new configuration file
without having to restart it, by enabling reload before building snort and
then running a command during..  However I’m unsure how to do this in
snort3.

http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node24.html

this gives the impression that you can run –enable-reload when performing
./configure before installing snort

However after following the set up guide for Centos 7 attached (part 3
pg.5/6):

I don’t have a configure file, only a configure_cmake.sh file, which,
while having some enable options, does not have reload as one of them. The
full list can be retrieved using ./configure_cmake.sh –help.  Is this
feature not yet supported on snort3 or should I have a configure file
somewhere?

The User manual for snort 3 (also attached) suggests you should be able to
call ./configure from somewhere in the snort3 files as it mentions it with
another enable and --help command on pg 205 (220 in the pdf)

I don’t know if they’ve made a mistake here as they mention the
configure_cmake.sh file in the installation process on pg 14 (29 on the
pdf) .

Any Clarification would be great.

Thanks very much,

Ralph