Snort mailing list archives

Monitor progress and ETA while running snort

From: Assaf via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:49:57 +0300

Hi, I just wanted to share how I monitor progress and ETA while running
snort from a pcap file.

If I have only one pcap I use pipe viewer (the pv command) like this:

pv x.pcap | snort -r -

If I have more than one pcap, e.g. from a big tcpdump run, I merge all of
them on the fly using joincap ( https://github.com/assafmo/joincap ) like
this:

joincap *.pcap | pv -s $(du -bc *.pcap | awk '/total/{print $1}') | snort
-r -

This way pv print progress and ETA information while snort is running. :-)

Shameless plug - I wrote joincap specifically for these kind of situations,
because mergecap and tcpslice does not handle errors very well.
        snort-users-leave () lists snort org