Snort mailing list archives

Re: Need help about an rules

From: Felix via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:18:03 +0200

Hi Michel,

as YM already pointed out: have a look at rule with sid 19559. It is
almost identical with yours.
One notable difference is that you are further narrowing the IP
addresses: do you really expect an SSH brute force attack from the
private IP 192.168.1.30?

BTW: if you are concerned about ssh brute force attacks, have a look at
fail2ban (www.fail2ban.org). It blocks IPs after a couple of failed ssh
login tries out of the box.

greets

felix