Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 3.0 performance issue

From: "Carter Waxman \(cwaxman\) via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 16:32:57 +0000

100Gbps is a lot to expect out of that one sensor. You will probably need multiple sensors of that size and some load
balancing to approach that throughput, with Snort (not DAQ) being your bottleneck. As far as DAQ is concerned, try
AFPacket running with fanout. Hash will load-balance packets by 5-tuples. For a 4-thread Snort, something like:
snort --c snort.lua --daq afpacket --daq-var fanout=hash -z 4 -i eth0 –i eth0 –i eth0 –i eth0

PF_RING ( https://www.ntop.org/guides/pf_ring/thirdparty/snort-daq.html ) is also an option but I’m not sure how well
it supports Snort 3. If anything, it would probably require multiple processes (not threads) to run correctly.