Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort install on windows

From: Lee Brown <leeb () ratnaling org>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 14:34:21 -0700

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Lee Brown <leeb () ratnaling org> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 7:22 PM, CJ Lorenz via Snort-users <
snort-users () lists snort org> wrote:

I've got an issue escaping me at the moment while installing Snort.
When I run
C:\Snort\bin>snort -v -c C:\Snort\etc\snort.conf -l C:\snort\log -K ascii

I get an error at the end... Error: C:\Snort\etc\snort.conf(334) =>
Invalid keyword '}" for server configuration. Fatal Error, Quitting.. Could
not create the registry key.

I'm completely at a loss on this... I'm installing and setting up Snort
2.9 on Windows Server 2016
CPU: W3520 Xeon
RAM: 16 GB DDR3

Any and all help would be appreciative.. Been bashing my head on the desk
all day with this one.

Thank you

Find the thread titled "2.9.11.1 on windows 10 issue snort.conf", answer
is there.
sry, on mobile, hard to copy/paste links, etc.

Does line 334 of snort.conf look like:

decompress_swf { deflate lzma }

If so, then try removing the ‘lzma’ keyword.  See below (reference
<http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node17.html>).

*Note:  * LZMA decompression is only available if Snort is built with the
liblzma package present and functional. If the LZMA package is not present,
then the lzma option will indicate a fatal parsing error. If the liblzma
package IS present, but one desires to disable LZMA support, then the
-disable-lzma option on configure will disable usage of the library.