Snort mailing list archives

Re: A few Issues Building Snort++ (3.0.0-a4-b244) on Ubuntu

From: Noah Dietrich <noah_dietrich () 86penny org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 06:17:01 +0200

Hi Michael,

I don't have a good reason to want the install to go to the root directory,
it's just that I am working on updating the Snort++ install guides for
Ubuntu, where previous versions set the install path to / because it made
the file paths simpler for people to understand when describing how the
software worked and how all the parts of snort will installed.

It looks like this change has irritated
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/17445> some other people,
and I do admit it makes the installation guide cleaner and easier to
explain when Snort is install to the root directories, but I understand the
reasoning behind it (if maybe not the cmake project's firmness in enforcing
it), especially with regard to following the linux filesystem hierarchy
standard.

I'll re-design the guide for a default install location of /usr, and keep
the configuration directory as /etc/snort, as that seems to make the most
sense and keep with the spirit of the FHS (even though the FHS does seem a
little contradictory about where things should be installed, /usr versus
/usr/local in this case).

Thanks for the info on DAQ being built with cmake, I'll keep an eye out for
that change as I update the guide.  It's nice from authoring the install
guide point-of-view to have everything use similar install processes /
tools, it keeps things simpler and clearer for me and the target audience.

I'll try testing the install of snort-extras with prefix=/usr to see what
happens, although i think this issue is specifically related to trying to
install to root, and probably won't mater (although you may want to put a
sanity check into your scripts to make sure other people don't get caught
by the same issue i'm running across here).

thanks again for all your help,
Noah

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:17 AM, Michael Altizer via Snort-devel <