Snort mailing list archives

Re: Error using latest ruleset with Snort++

From: Russ via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:40:12 -0400

On 7/13/17 7:40 PM, Jim Campbell wrote:

Thank you, Russ for your timely guidance to point me in the right direction.

OBSERVATIONS:

I installed Snort 3 on a clean Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop that had been updated with the latest patches. I just checked my ~/snort_src directory and the only Snort source file is "snort3-master". Even so, a "which snort" returns "/usr/local/bin/snort" and indeed there is a snort 2.9.9.0 executable there. Since in my testing of my installation I wasn't using a full path to snort I was inadvertently invoking the snort 2.9.9.0 executable instead of the snort 3 executable.

I installed Pulledpork v0.7.2 and downloaded the latest Talos rules. I used snort2lua to convert the 2.9.9.0 rules file to the 3.0-level rules file. Invoking Snort 3 (with a full path to all references) and using the original configuration file (snort.lua) and the Snort 3-level rules file, everything ran but I got 45 error messages from the rules file. A sampling:

"ERROR: /opt/snort/etc/snort/snort3.rules:152 invalid argument reference:url,packetstormsecurity.org/files/112363/Samsung-NET-i = Viewer-Active-X-SEH-Overwrite.html "ERROR: /opt/snort/etc/snort/snort3.rules:1460 invalid argument reference:url,support.clean-mx.de/clean-mx = viruses.php?domain=rr.nu&sort=first%20desc "ERROR: /opt/snort/etc/snort/snort3.rules:1697 invalid argument reference:url,blog.fireeye.com/research/2013/02/yaj0-yet-another- = java-zero-day-2.html
I pushed an update to github this week that should fix that. Those references are broken and the space makes it look like "reference:name value". Snort++ was updated to be more tolerant in these cases. If you grab the latest you should be good to go.

At the end of the output I got the following:

"pcap DAQ configured to passive.
"FATAL: see prior 45 errors
"Fatal Error, Quitting..

CONCLUSION: I believe that I have enough of a platform now to begin learning how Snort 3 actually works.

Thanks again, Russ, and thanks to all who are working to deliver a potentially awesome networking tool.

Jim