Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alerts for OOXML and MOX

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 11:45:27 -0400

On 09/03/2017 11:32 AM, James Lay wrote:
On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 14:01 +0000, Will via Snort-sigs wrote:
I am pretty new to the Snort world. I am wondering if it is possible to create an alert that can look inside OOXML or MOX type formats to find clear text content. The thing about these file types are they are compressed files with it's own file structure within the file. [...]

Check out the preproc sensitive-data.rules...should be what you need.

if they can decompress the OOXML or MOX type formats, right? ;)