Snort mailing list archives

Re: Few questions from a new Snort user

From: Alberto Colosi via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 22:47:38 +0000

If I'm right u haven't an ITC Security knowledge and/or experience.

Yes FireWalls , IDS/IPS are "nice" but in the end if you don't know

- TCP/IP , troubleshouting TCP/IP (like ping work but not HTTPS in a router scenario).

- Vulnerabilities

- TCP/IP ports, services and so on

- knowledge at least of main RFC like FTP HTTP HTTPS POP3 IMAP SMTP ....

- SMTP and POP3 and FTP statement

- difference with ftp ftps sftp

- and so on

I think that are "right" the questions you done here. Suspicius domains are IP and domains , CIDR where is commonly
detected suspicious activities. Each "ban" should be commented and you could be able to read it.

As last, IDS/IPS , FireWalls and more are not only used to "protect" and or to intercept malicious activities but can
and are widely used even to control, monitor, shape and more more more (zombie hosts, malware, ...).

Was I good understanding your "doubts" about allertings?. Some Are even for fun like ICMP echo request and reply (if
activated). In the end don't mean a lot in security but are informations. As last (again) take a look and unneded
messages, supress on snort conf and see log increasing rate to not get ZERO BYTED.

ITC NetWork & Security Architect and Engineer