Snort mailing list archives

Limits of Snort TCP reconstruction

From: tom.barbette () ulg ac be
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 16:37:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi list,

I read a lot of documentation, but it is still not clear to me what are the limitations of the Snort TCP
reconstruction. It seems that when creating a rule which match on TCP payload, it will match the payload across
multiple packets. But what's the limit in term of number of packets here?

E.g. If I want to match on "<script>.*</script>" in HTTP payload, would Snort fail to match if ".*" is actually big
enough?

If someone can link me to some more documentation, or help me understand the limits, that would be great.

Thanks,

Tom