Snort mailing list archives

Re: Starting off now it's running

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 01:50:53 +0000

A good place to start would be in the manual/README files.

In this particular case check out the doc/README.stream5 file and see the section on “small segments”. Copied below:

small_segments <num1> bytes <num2> [ignore_ports port list]

                            - Configure the maximum small segments queued.
                              This feature requires that detect_anomalies be enabled.

                              num1 is the number of consecutive segments that will
                              trigger the detection rule. The default value is
                              "0" (disabled),with a maximum of "2048”.

                              num2 is the minimum bytes for a segment to be
                              considered "small". The default value is "0" (disabled),
                              with a maximum of "2048”.

                              ignore_ports is optional, defines the list of
                              ports in which will be ignored for this rule.
                              The number of ports can be up to "65535”.

                              Example:
                                small_segments 3 bytes 15 ignore_ports 33 44 55
                              A message is written to console/syslog when this
                              limit is enforced. The generated alert is 129:12

Thanks!

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco