Snort mailing list archives

Re: Best practice for Snort with pcap file?

From: Russ via Snort-users <snort-users () lists snort org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 20:38:36 -0400

Hi. Neither is better, it just depends on your goals. Use packet captures for testing, debugging, analysis, etc. Use network interfaces to protect your network. Either way you can use multiple processing threads by providing multiple sources (pcaps or interfaces). We will eventually support internal load balancing but for now that must be done externally. And yes, high speed packet captures will quickly fill up your disk. :)

Check the manual (or the DAQ tarball README) for packet acquisition options. The various Snort 2.X documents also have helpful information for DAQ configurations. And check back here if you get stuck.

Good luck.
Russ