Snort mailing list archives

Re: Exclude IPs from snort rules - snort IPS

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 03:39:13 +0000

Pass rule is correct.  Wherever you read the order thing is wrong.  There are several ways to ensure order, all are in
the manual.

Sent from my iPad

On May 31, 2017, at 10:37 PM, Forensix Land <forensixland () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,
We have snort 2.9.9.0 running as IPS. I need recommendation on how to exclude some IPs from a drop rule.
According to the document, suppressing track by source or destination ip only does not log the alerts but the rule is
still applied. when running as IPS, this means it still drops the traffic without logging.

I am considering using "pass" rule, but I read somewhere there is no way to guarantee the rule order so the "pass"
rule always wins over the "drop" or "alert" rule.

Any other suggestions than modifying the rule?

Thanks in advance!

FL