Snort mailing list archives

Re: listing daq-vars and confirming the cluster type of pfring

From: Michael Altizer <xiche () verizon net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 13:45:11 -0400

First of all, DAQ variables will never directly affect or configure Snort, they are purely a construct of the DAQ module being used. In the current version of libDAQ there is no way to query a DAQ module for variables that it supports, so the best you can do is either look at the source or the documentation for the particular module to determine which variables may be set and the effect of doing so. As you probably know, to pass a DAQ variable through Snort to the DAQ module, use the --daq-var command line option in the form of "variable_name" (to define the variable with a null value) or "variable_name=value" (to define the variable with a value). If you really want to confirm anything that a particular DAQ module is doing, you will need to at least examine the code and potentially add some debug logging and recompile to be absolutely sure.