Snort mailing list archives

Re: Local Rule Error

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 20:31:15 -0500

On 02/19/2017 07:16 PM, Jones, Christopher (Chris) (Maj) wrote:
I’m working on writing some simple local rules but Snort is giving me the
error: “SID 5000001 in rule duplicates previous rule.  Ignoring old rule.”

what other rules do you have installed and configured? it appears, based on what
you've written, that you have other rules installed and configured for use...

try adding a few more zeros to your local base SID range... i use 100000000 to
start my local rules specifically to get their SIDs up and away from the others
currently available by distribution...

yours: 5000001
mine : 100000000