Snort mailing list archives

Re: Length encoded protocol / LDAP and BER

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 02:58:21 +0000

Probably a better topic for the snort-sigs list.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 11, 2017, at 12:30 PM, FOULDE Damien <damien.foulde () axians com<mailto:damien.foulde () axians com>> wrote:

Hello,

Noone interested by this topic ?
That's a pity, this is a quite interesting technical challenge !

Damien

De : FOULDE Damien [mailto:damien.foulde () axians com]
Envoy? : mercredi 25 janvier 2017 19:38
? : snort-devel () lists sourceforge net<mailto:snort-devel () lists sourceforge net>
Objet : [Snort-devel] Length encoded protocol / LDAP and BER

Hello,

I'm faced to an issue to dissect a length encoded protocol, LDAP in my case which uses BER.
I'm blocked because the value extracted through "byte_extract" can only be supplied to the "offset" argument of the
"byte_jump" rule keyword and not to the "bytes_to_convert" argument.

Let me take an example, I have the bytes below and I need to check the 0x80 byte :
82 00 05 12 24 56 78 12 80
0x82 = 10000010
The MSB is set to 1, so the value of the 7 other bits is not the length of the data but the number of bytes used to
describe the length of the data, in this example, the number of bytes to describe the length of the data is 0000010 = 2
We can get this value through "byte_extract:1,0,var_length,relative,bitmask 0x7f;".
Then we would need to get the "00 05" = 5 value, to jump over the 5 following bytes : "12 24 56 78 12" and finally be
able to test the 0x80 content we need to check.
This could be achieved through "byte_jump:var_length,0,relative;" if the "byte_jump" rule keyword would accept an
extracted value for the "bytes_to_convert" argument, unfortunately this is not the case.
Did I missed a snort feature which could achieve this ?
Do you know if there is already a feature request for something like this ?

Thank you & regards,

Damien

Archive:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=snort-devel