Snort mailing list archives

Re: Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded allows bypass of my snort rule

From: 강명훈 <mhkang589 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:46:25 +0900

The file_data option sets the cursor used for detection to one of the
following buffers: 1. HTTP response body 2. SMTP/POP/IMAP data body.

If you want to restricts the search to the body of an HTTP client request,
try use content modifier http_client_body

I'm trying to setup a rule to deny anyone that is not coming from $VPN_NET
from attempting to log into word press.

# in snort.conf
ip var VPN_NET [cidr,cidr]

# in local.rules
drop tcp !$VPN_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"WordPress Login attempt";
flow:to_server,established; file_data; content:"wp-login"; nocase; content:
"POST"; nocase; http_method; classtype:misc-activity; sid:500001; rev:1;
metadata:policy balanced-ips drop, policy security-ips drop, service http;)

This rule seems to stop anything unless the POST is using 'Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded'. What is the best way to allow snort
to deal with urlencoded POSTs, or is my rule just jacked up?

Thanks,
Avery

http://www.snort.org

Visit the Snort.org to subscribe to the official Snort ruleset, make sure
to stay up to date to catch the most <a href="
https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads";>emerging threats</a>!

--
Kang Myoung-hun