Snort mailing list archives

Re: Questions on Snort++

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 07:49:56 -0600

On 2016-10-21 05:02, Russ wrote:
On 10/19/16 12:04 PM, James Lay wrote:
Hey all,

Some questions in regards to Snort++:

1.  As encryption is just about everywhere now, how will Snort++ deal
with encryption?
Snort++ won't fundamentally change this problem.  It is still essential
that decryption is done before Snort sees the traffic you want to
inspect.  We are working on enhancements to detect malicious encrypted
traffic but otherwise it should be whitelisted by the SSL inspector.
2.  Any timeframe on when Snort++ will be out of Alpha stage?
Alpha 4 will be out before end of year.  I don't want to jinx it by
being more specific.  :)  It will be a much improved superset of
2.9.8.3
functionality, but a few things like JavaScript normalization likely
won't make the cut.  The Beta release follows.

Thank you,

James

Just what I needed to know...thanks Russ.

James