Snort mailing list archives

Re: Problem with Snort IDS

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 12:30:30 +0000

Hello Marcio,

Sounds like you have a network problem and not a snort related one.

You need a way to divert/span the traffic TO snort interface

or

Run snort inline so the traffic passes directly through the snort machine.

The device being in promiscuous mode doesn’t help with switched traffic (which doesn’t get copied to your snort
interface). It just tells the interface to capture anything it sees.

In your case once the traffic is diverted/spanned it should work properly.

Hope this helps.

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
Email: allewi () cisco com<mailto:allewi () cisco com>