Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort OS Fingerprint Scan Detectino

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 17:49:11 +0000

There are a couple of things to note.

- Is sfportscan preprocessor enabled and tweaked? This can help identify a scan, not necessarily a fingerprint scan.
- The rules that are enabled, which may alert on certain scan techniques or scan return results.
- IMHO, detecting scans is the result of collective alerts and detections against a specific host. It's not as simple
as one rule identifies a fingerprint scan. Look for alerts (see point 2 above) collectively against your hosts.
- Look at the fingerprint scan documentation, it usually lists the techniques used to perform the scan. You can tailor
your rules to the techniques in coordination with your protected environment.

YM

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 6:09 AM +0300, "yasir al-ibrahem" <alibrahem.yasir () gmail com<mailto:alibrahem.yasir () gmail