Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort, Squid, and TLS Interception

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 05:51:09 -0600

On Fri, 2016-09-30 at 12:34 +1300, Jason Haar wrote:

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 3:36 AM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
wrote:
The piece I'm missing is how to get Squid's decrypted content to
Snort.
The Squid mailing list says "it depends on how your IDS does this",
which I respond with a confident "I haven't a frickin clue".  So
how
WOULD this work?  I've read about ICAP and eCAP, but how can I get
Snort
to "listen" or get sent the decrypted session data?

ICAP is a TCP protocol, so squid opens a TCP connection and sends
ICAP commands and gets ICAP responses. So if you were to install
snort on the proxy, and get it to monitoring the "lo" interface, then
snort could see the ICAP content...

However, does snort support ICAP? It's not HTTP - although it's very
similar... It needs to have native support because the real
destination hostname and the real client IP address are expressed
through ICAP headers - not at the TCP layer

Alternatively, you could write your own ICAP server that takes ICAP
queries and spews out fake HTTP requests towards some blackhole - and
snort could monitor that instead. Good luck with that ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +1 408 481 8171