Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort output plugins using Barnyard.

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:39:33 +0000

If I understand correctly, you are using Barnayrd2 to parse u2 files generated by Snort into Syslog and db, correct?

If that's the case, then Snort does not need to be sending Syslog alert logs to the local facility. It is already
outputing the logs in u2 format. In other words, it is simply writing u2 to disk irrelevant to the Barnyard2 process.
Hence Snort should not stop running when Barnyard2 fails.

I guess what you mean is that Barnyard2 stops sending Syslog when the database connection fails. AFAIK, Barnyard2 has
to be restarted to pick up again.

YM