Snort mailing list archives

Re: Urgent Pointer

From: Geoffrey Serrao <gserrao () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 20:54:54 -0400

Hey Ray,

Sounds like an interesting problem. Do you have a pcap you could share?

The uint16 that is the urgent pointer is not available to analyze in a text
rule, but the URG flag can be checked in a text rule. However, it might be
possible to write a shared object rule to check for a nonzero urgent
pointer and alert/block:

typedef struct _TCPHeader
{
    uint16_t source_port;
    uint16_t destination_port;
    uint32_t sequence;
    uint32_t acknowledgement;
    uint8_t offset_reserved;
    uint8_t flags;
    uint16_t window;
    uint16_t checksum;
    uint16_t urgent_pointer;
} TCPHeader;

You can also configure the normalize preprocessor to zero this pointer if
the URG flag is not set. This won't generate an alert (though it will be
reflected in the normalizer stats) but since this is related here is the
option to set:

req_urg:  clear the urgent pointer if the urgent flag is not set.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Pittigher, Raymond <RPITTIGH () harris com>