Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort not alerting on same ip ssh attack after restart

From: John Devine <john.devine () nuspire com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 19:42:52 +0000

For some reason I did not receive this reply in my Inbox I just happened to be
browsing the archives for answers and found a reply to my email I just sent so
I am copying the response here. I will answer those 5 questions

what IPs are you testing from?
10.31.30.105; 10.31.30.106; 10.31.30.107

which one works and which does not?
every IP I have tried works but only once. I could be firing the mock ssh
'attack' from any IP and it will alert properly but only once every 12 hours
or so, not sure about the exact time limit.
To clarify on the rules: I am using all the 'emerging' rules.
Here is one line from my config: (include $RULE_PATH/emerging-misc.rules)

what is the IP of your snort box?
10.31.40.20

what are your HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET values?
var HOME_NET [10.31.2.78,10.31.2.79,172.17.0.0/24,192.168.11.0/24,192.168.50.15,127.0.0.1]
var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

My hunch is that there is a specification in some specific rule which is overriding
any global filter I have in place causing the alerts to stop firing after one attack.
Unfortunately, modifying that specific rule is not an option for me as I update the rules
automatically and don't customize any of them so that would not be a long term fix.
I foudn the rule in question in emerging-scan.rules:
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"ET SCAN Potential SSH Scan";
flags:S,12; threshold: type both, track by_src, count 5, seconds 120;
reference:url,en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute_force_attack;
reference:url,doc.emergingthreats.net/2001219; classtype:attempted-recon; sid:2001219; rev:19;)

as you can see, it is 5 attempts in 2 minutes. That generates this alert from snort:
[**] [1:2001219:19] ET SCAN Potential SSH Scan [**]
[Classification: Attempted Information Leak] [Priority: 2]
04/07-17:52:05.665590 10.31.30.105:50682 -> 10.31.40.20:22
TCP TTL:63 TOS:0x0 ID:60881 IpLen:20 DgmLen:60 DF
******S* Seq: 0xD2D2B099  Ack: 0x0  Win: 0x7210  TcpLen: 40
TCP Options (5) => MSS: 1460 SackOK TS: 4873544 0 NOP WS: 7
[Xref => http://doc.emergingthreats.net/2001219][Xref => (removed hyperlink)]

This still does not explain where the time limit is coming from. I cannot get snort
to generate this same alert again for several hours.