Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to determine that the Snort is ready to capture the traffic?

From: Andrey Kiryukhin <andrei_1980 () mail ru>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:42:34 +0300

I know it's bad practice, but i experiment with snort in undefined for
me network (i have only ip range). Unfortunately, i can not scan or do
other  active things.
So, for first  step, i decide init all available rules  and   suppress
the ones that give a lot of false positives.

For next step i plan use passive "scanner" like p0f (and other) do
determine home net structure  and tune snort rules.