Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort installation on openstack

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 16:58:41 +0000

1) You are not telling snort what configuration file to use (with a -c ).

You may want to start reading here: http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node6.html

or

here http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node3.html

If you don't specify a configuration file snort will run as a packet sniffer which is expected behavior.

2) As for the installation of snort on openstack you may want to install Centos there first. THEN install snort
afterwards.

As I said your issue looks like a problem with the install of CENTOS in openstack and not snort.

There is an error in your screenshot which points to openstack/centos issue. See the error:  '/dev/mapper/centos-root/'
does not exist.

Your installation looks like it tanks after that.

Albert Lewis
QA SNORT/Sourcefire
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
9780 Patuxent Woods Drive