Snort mailing list archives

Snort3 generating multiple alert files

From: João Soares <joaops () dei uc pt>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 03:51:37 +0100

Greetings,

I'm trying to learn and adapt to snort3 and it's not being easy.

I'm running snort3 with this command:

snort -l /root/snort-logs -A full -i eth0 -c etc/snort/snort.lua -D -z 0
-d -e -w -X -y

I have a two questions and I would really appreciate it if you guys
could help me out:

*1 *- Why is snort3 making a new alert file each time the original file
reaches approximately 4kb? How can I change that?

*2* - How can I make snort3 log both alerts and pcaps of intrusions, I
can't get it to work, I have tried combining both -A and -L options but
I can only get one of them to be logged.

I'm sorry if these are really obvious questions, but I've read the
manual and I can't seem to find the answers.

Best regards and thank you for your time!

--
João Soares

SIC - Serviço de Informática e Comunicações
https://helpdesk.dei.uc.pt
Department of Informatics Engineering
Faculty of Science and Technology
University of Coimbra