Snort mailing list archives

snort dns Preprocessor

From: rohan dora <dora.rohan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 10:15:02 +0530

Hell0 all,

I was browsing through the code of *DNS Dynamic preprocessor*(*spp_dns.c*)
of Snort 2.9.1.

*Objective*

To count the number of DNS Queries that are made by my machine to DNS
server(may be local/Remote doesn't matter).

*Problem*

Right now, DNS Dynamic preprocessor is able to track responses that are
coming from DNS server to my machine,*however it is not able to track/see
the DNS queries that my machine makes*.

I know that DNS Preprocessor is meant for analysing the responses of Remote
server,But i added some code(Some if conditions,print statements) to track
DNS queries.

Anyone ,having ideas what could be the problem or is this the right
approach(modifying code in spp_dns.c) ?

Thanks