Snort mailing list archives

Re: config file

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:40:55 -0400

On 04/25/2016 06:20 AM, Chris Sandford wrote:
ERROR: log_tcpdump: Failed to open log file "c:\snort\log/c:\snort\log.1461579119

9": Invalid argument

Fatal Error, Quitting..

I update my config file to point to c:\snort\log but I do not understand why it
is looking for a log.1461579119?

There is no file in that folder named as such so I can understand why it’s failing.

Using on Windows

every time snort is started, it creates a new log file... *by default*, those
log files have the name format of

   /some/directory/in/the/tree/snort.xxxxxxxxxx

the xxxxxxxxxx represent the numbers snort adds to the file name... these
numbers are the decimal value of the unix time stamp of the file's creation...

it appears that you have told snort to use a directory to store the files in but
you have not told it the filename to use...

what is your command line to start snort?

what does Section #6 (at least) of your snort.conf contain?