Snort mailing list archives

Bug responsible for memory leak

From: Jon Larson <jon () catbird com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:40:19 -0700

Observe this code in snort.c:VerifyReload (v2.9.8.0 code):

     if ( sc->respond_attempts != snort_conf->respond_attempts ||
         sc->respond_device != snort_conf->respond_device )

I think this code should be like this:
    if ( sc->respond_attempts != snort_conf->respond_attempts ||
(strcasecmp(sc->respond_device, snort_conf->respond_device) != 0) )

Could someone verify this? Without this fix the reload function in our preprocessor won't get called (I doubt if any of them are called). With the fix there are memory leaks because, among other things, the config->policy_list referenced in snort_stream_tcp.c isn't freed.

This is easy to reproduce:

1. Put the above code patch in place.
2. Load snort with vanilla config
3. ps aux |grep snort  -> note the memory usage.
4. ps -ef | grep snort | grep -v grep | grep -v gdb | awk '{print $2}' |xargs kill -1
5. Wait for reload to occur.

Repeat steps 3-5 several times and you should see the memory number go up.

valgrind verifies this (the StreamTcpPolicy alone is 2072640 bytes).

This means that VerifyReload will always return -1, causing configuration to be re-initialized as opposed to reloaded.