Snort mailing list archives

Re: MALWARE-CNC Win.Trojan.Bedep variant outbound connection (1:33188)

From: Elliot Anderson <new.http.451 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:30:26 +0200

Appreciate for additional details Alex.

Elliot.

On 19 Jan 2016, at 23:41, Alex McDonnell <amcdonnell () sourcefire com> wrote:

Hi Elliot,

  This is one of many rules that is used to help detect Bedep. We know it can be loud if you are a regular visitor to
that site which is why we have placed it in the "indicator-compromise" category where rules that might not alert on
malicious traffic but are usually present when other suspicious/malicious traffic is present. Enabling this rule can
help find other unknown variants but does have the drawback of having to check more events. Like Joel suggested,
please take a look at other sids if you do not want to deal with these events.

Thanks

Alex McDonnell
TALOS