Snort mailing list archives

Setting up a rule for a repeating pattern

From: Gurgen Hakobyan <hakobyan () outlook com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 00:03:48 +0000

Hi,

I need to setup a rule that would detect a repetition of headers within a HTTP session.

Only initial headers have to be examined (not the content), so we are not going to process huge amounts of data. I want
to detect anything that sends two of same headers (say 2 POST requess, etc.). The repetitions are not necessarily
successive..

How is that possible using Snort rules syntax? If I use command like

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:”Secret traffic"; pcre:”/USERNAME|PASSWORD/i"; sid:666; rev:1;)

it will detect the pattern once, but how do I repeat it?

Thanks,
Gurgen