Snort mailing list archives

Snort looking for invalid rules directory

From: Ryan Bateman <Ryan-Bateman () smartestenergy com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 09:55:11 +0000

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty getting Snort up and running and I was wondering if anyone could help.

I am in the middle of setting ups snort for the first time on Fedora 23. I have configured pulledpork for auto rules
download. As you can see from the picture below, the test to see if pulledpork has worked tries to manually run Snort,
which gives me the below error, as it looks for /etc/snort//etc/snort/rules/local.rules which clearly doesn't exist. I
have looked in snort.conf and I can see a line that says include $RULE_PATH/local.rules which I thought may be the
issue, but the var for $RULE_PATH is what it's supposed to be, /etc/snort/rules

I have no idea what else could be causing this. Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

smartestenergy

Ryan Bateman
Ipswich IT Support Engineer

T 01473 234156
M 07921871146
F 01473 234170
www.smartestenergy.com<http://www.smartestenergy.com/>
Follow SmartestEnergy on Twitter - @SmartestEnergy<http://twitter.com/#!/smartestenergy>
[cid:image001.png@01D179E9.C51B8130]<http://www.smartestenergy.com/renewable>

SmartestEnergy Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales: No. 3994598
Registered Office: Dashwood House, 69 Old Broad Street, London, EC2M 1QS, England.

Please note and read these warnings and requirements:
This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not read, copy or distribute it or take any action in reliance upon it. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender, delete the email immediately and do not disclose its contents. SmartestEnergy
Ltd reserves the right to monitor emails and attachments entering or leaving its systems without prior notice.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense on behalf of SmartestEnergy.Ltd