Snort mailing list archives

Re: Doubts

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:04:42 -0500

On 02/10/2016 04:33 AM, ARUN LAL wrote:
Hi All,

We need to monitor the network of all the other servers(client servers) via snort.

Could you please explain the possibilities of that?? we have installed one snort
in one server, is there anyway to add other servers to it?? or we need to
install snort to all servers??

I think everyone can understand my question!!

i just replied to this or a similar post in the snort-sigs list but i will
repost it here...

i cannot direct you to any guides or explain how to do it but the general idea
is this...

1. install snort on a sensor in each network you need to monitor.

2. install a tool like barnyard2 on each sensor.

3. setup a central database somewhere for all sensors to report to.

4. configure each snort with a specific identifier to keep alerts separated by
sensor in the central database. (see the -G and -logid command line parameters)

5. configure each tool like barnyard2 to gather the alerts and insert them into
the central database.

6. use whatever tool you like (snorby??) to monitor the alerts in the central
database.

the basic gist is that each sensor pushes its alerts to the central database
where all the monitoring is being done... effectively, once you install one
snort/barnyard2 combination, you duplicate it to all other sensors giving each
sensor an id number via the -G command line option... then each sensor's
barnyard2 will push the sensor's alerts to the central database and you can use
whatever tool you like to monitor the database...