Snort mailing list archives

Re: Security Ruleset - CVSS Level

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 20:42:05 +0000

Vaughn,

It appears we've isolated the issue.  It would be fixed shortly.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Talos Group

On Jan 9, 2016, at 8:40 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) <jesler () cisco com<mailto:jesler () cisco com>> wrote:

Vaughn,

Thanks for writing in.

So, there could be a couple things going on here, and I may have to get with the Meraki team to diagnose the problem.

First off, if we take a look at the ruleset:
https://www.snort.org/advisories/talos-rules-2016-01-07

You can see the "enabled"/"Disabled" state of the ruleset as shipped.  Now, that means "Balanced".  So if it's on in
Balanced, it's on in security, as the more stringent rulesets also contain the lighter ruleset states, and sometimes
make them "harsher".

That all being said, the Meraki device is a unique type of appliance.  You select the policy you want to run, and the
system takes care of it for you.

So, there will be a couple things we'll have to diagnose here, and none of which you need to do.  I'll coordinate with
the Meraki team to figure out what needs to be done.  Off the top of my head, it could be several things.

I'll follow up once I touch base with them.

Sent from my iPad