Snort mailing list archives

Re: Always logging as binary!

From: wkitty42 () windstream net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 19:39:25 -0500

On 01/22/2016 11:48 AM, Jack Rief wrote:
I saw that but that seems to affect only the alerts.   I’m getting alerts in
text form and having them sent to syslog.  That all works fine.

The problem is the regular logs.  The documentation says the default mode for
these logs is text, but I’m seeing them written in tcp_dump format no matter
what startup options I use.   Meaning if I omit the –b option I get binary
format, if I include the –b option I get binary format.

what, exactly, are you calling ""regular logs""?? by default (which i've asked a
few times to have changed) the snort.log.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx files are pcaps which
are always going to be in binary... in binary because they are the raw network
packets that triggered the alert to be fired...