Snort mailing list archives

Re: Understanding MetaData

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 18:54:30 +0000

In the FirePOWER product, service is detected, not reliant on port.  So, the "service" metadata is automatic in the
product.

However, in open source Snort, you either have to use openappid to detect the services, or you have to specify them
using a static file, called the Host Attributes table.  xml based, you're correct.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Talos Group